Friday, March 9, 2007

Addendum to Clothes Shopping Guidelines

I've thought of a couple more policies to add related to shopping online or from a catalog:
  1. If I see something I like, I mark it (add to my shopping cart or dog-ear the page of the catalog and place it back in my reading pile). If the image haunts me for a few days, I give myself permission to seriously consider buying it. If I think back to the catalog/site and can't remember the item in vivid detail, I shouldn't buy it and don't. Sometimes I don't remember the item at all and that's a really clear sign.
  2. Before clicking the "Buy" button I must accept that I am agreeing to pay $5-10 to try the item in my home. This fee is actually the shipping/return shipping fee. Paying this fee or putting forth the effort to ship a package back should be accepted as part of the price you pay for ordering by mail. It should never be a deterrent to sending back something that doesn't meet all the criteria posted previously. Once something is physically in your home it is in charge--so you'll have to wrangle control away from it. Of course, the exception to this is Zappos where you can basically try anything on for free and pretty easily ship it back.

No comments: